Journey is a PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 game by thatgamecompany, that is distributed over PSN and was released on March 13, 2012. The player plays as a robed person journeying towards a distant mountain through a sandy desert. The game has a multiplayer component, in which players can interact on their journey and assist each other. As of May 29th 2012, it has become the fastest-selling PSN game ever.
The players take the role of a robed figure traveling through a desert towards a large mountain. The player is not given any instructions on how to play the game or what the game's goal is, nor any map of the game's world.
There is no spoken dialogue besides the chirping call of the player, and the cutscenes are shown without any words. It is up to the player to interpret the storyline of Journey, leading to many theories as to what exactly is taking place.
If the player is playing online, they can encounter other players while on their way, called companions. However, players cannot speak to each other (neither via voice nor text), nor are identified by any username, gamertag or avatar. They can communicate only via a wordless shout, and have symbols on the front of their robes, so players can identify whether they have already encountered a given fellow traveler or not. They can, however assist each other.
According to the game's designer, Jenova Chen:
- "It's about two strangers who meet online. They don't know who they are or how old they are. All they know is, that it's another human being."
Items that players can find in the desert include pieces of cloth that they can fly on for a short period of time. There are also magical items and ruins including Glowing symbols, Ancient Glyphs, and Cloth Creatures. Easter eggs from other thatgamecompany games are a Hidden Desert Flower and a Mysterious Creature.
Collectors Editionthatgamecompany. It features Journey as well as the studio's previously released flOw and Flower and more. It releases August 28th, 2012 for the PlayStation 3.
- 30-minute behind-the-scenes documentary about the making of Journey
- Creator Commentary play-throughs of all three games
- Three exclusive mini-games from thatgamecompany
- Concept art and screenshot galleries for all three games
- Original soundtracks for all three games
- PS3 dynamic themes and wallpapers
- PSN avatars including 8 exclusive new Journey avatars never released before
- Official game trailers and developer diary videos
- Reversible cover art
- One month trial subscription of PlayStation Plus
19 people participated in the creation of the game.
|Jenova Chen||Game Director|
|Nicholas Clark||Lead Designer|
|John Edwards||Lead Engineer|
|Robin Hunicke||Executive Producer|
|Matt Nava||Art Director & Lead Artist|
|Bryan Singh||Technical Designer|
|Aaron Jessie||Environment Artist|
|John Nesky||Feel Engineer|
|Ke Jiang||Character Artist & Animator|
|Michael Peddicord||Tools Engineer|
|Austin Wintory||Music Composer|
|Steve Johnson||Sound Designer|
|Aaron Grommesh||Community Manager|